Friday, March 23, 2012

February's ASG Exhibit Best in Show: Kenny Bayne

The artist, Kenny Bayne
Kenny Bayne is February's Best in Show winner of the ASG Art Exhibit "Silent Reflection."  Below, ASG Co-leader Julia Finucane interviews the artist:

1. When did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I've been interested in Art from a very young age and have been drawing for as long as I can remember. My parents and friends encouraged me a lot which spurred me on to improve and learn to use other mediums. At school my Art teachers were fantastic and spent a lot of time giving me advice and assuring me that I should go to Art School and continue my learning. I'm glad I followed their advice!

2. Where are your favorite places to paint?
I like to paint wild coastlines and beaches in Scotland near where I grew up in the Scottish Borders. I've always loved going to the coast in really bad weather to experience the power of the sea and observe the fantastic light conditions. I live in Northern Germany now on the Baltic Sea coast and am really enjoying exploring a new location to base my paintings on. 

"Coldingham Bay" by Kenny Bayne

3. When not creating art, what are your hobbies?
I spend a lot of time outdoors and like to Surf and Snowboard whenever I have the time.

4. You wrote in your profile on Etsy, that you surf in Scotland. Tell us about that.
I started surfing a couple of years ago and could not believe that I had lived in a place with such great conditions and never tried it. I have been hooked ever since and have seen myself crossing snow covered beaches in winter to get my fix. A lot of my paintings are of the sea and the fantasic colour changes stormy weather brings. I find sitting on my board looking out to sea for the next set of waves to roll in really inspires me.

5. What does the theme from February’s ASG Exhibit "Silent Reflection" mean to you and your “Snow and Trees” painting?
The theme of “Silent Reflection” immediately made me think of a walk I went on recently near my family's farm. There was loads of snow and everything was so still and quiet. I wanted to try and capture that feeling in my painting “Snow and Trees.”

"Snow and Trees" by Kenny Bayne

6. Who (dead or alive) would you love to spend a day with and why?
I would love to be able to spend a day with the Artist Joan Eardley. She is one of my favourite painters and although she had a relatively short career as she died young she made a huge contribution to Scottish Painting.

7. Where else can we find you? Online links, galleries, etc.

Etsy Shop

Blog

Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. That's excellent and very nicely written.Often I tend not to make comments on the web, however Ive to say that this site actually made me want to. Actually excellent little bit of material

    photography programs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...